British are well known (at least in France) for their high-end yarns and their not-that-good cuisine. Even if I remember some really bad meal, no one can argue on one point: they know their stuff when it comes to breakfast. Once in a while, I indulge myself with a full English breakfast. Most of the time I’m not able to function properly before my cup of warm beverage and something in my belly. That’s when the scones come up handy.
These are one of my really reliable breakfast baking recipes. We’ll have to try really hard to mess them up! Perfect for the lazy Sunday mornings when you want to treat yourself but when there’s no way you’re gonna go to the bakery to buy some croissant as it seems an even more daunting task than the twelve labours of Hercules.
- 250 g cake flour
- 12 g (1 sachet) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50 g butter
- 30 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilly sugar
- 1/2 glass milk
- Ten minutes before you start, get you butter out of the fridge, cut it into small chunks and let it soften.
- In a baking bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, vanilla sugar, and salt. Add the soften butter and mix it up with your fingers. Add the milk little by little until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Quickly knead the dough and roll it out to 2 cm high.
- Cut small rounds (~3/4 cm width) with a pastry cutter (or a glass).
- Bake them 15 minutes at 220°C (without pre-heating your oven). Let them cool down a bit and serves them still a bit warm, with salted butter (because it’s so much better!), jam or marmalade and a cup of fine tea. Bon appétit!
Tradition calls for a pastry cutter but I don’t own one. Well, it turns out that using a glass or a knife works perfectly even if your scones might end up a bit wonky or bigger that the “required” size. 🙂
Thanks to some of my family folks living abroad, I always had really high-quality vanilla (and believe me, Comoros vanilla and the true vanilla extract is not what you can buy here!). Therefore, I’m a pain in the ass when it comes to buying vanilla or vanilla sugar. I found this Thomas Cook’s vanilla sugar in my local organic grocery store. Oh man, that’s a true vanilla sugar! I mean its ingredients list is sugar, vanilla seeds, and vanilla extract. Love it! <3
Yummy, isn’t it? DO you have a lazy Sunday special recipe?