- knitting needles: I already presented my color-code compact system here which allows me to carry my interchangeable needles with me at all time.
- interchangeable knitting cables: because you never know what can happen (plus if you have the tips, you must also have the cables!). You might have an urge to cast-on something new or picked the wrong length when you started this huge shawl you have on the needle right now and need a bit more space. I store them in an (ugly) envelope-shaped pouch which allow me to maintain them together without being distorted.
- tapestry needles: my main use of tapestry needles is for life line. I hate weave in ends and rarely do it before the washing and blocking phase.
- stitch markers: I usually have several with me to be able to choose the best match with my current knitting project. I always pick one with a high contrast with my knitting, what’s the point of a marker if you can see it? 😉
- scissors: Those are ma lifelong scissors. I cannot even remember using something else and honestly I think I would cry for at least two weeks straight if I lost them. With time, the cozy softened (and it just strike me, it does look like the fabric on my cuddly toy). Anyway, I I ever lost it and you find it, you know what to do if you want to earn my eternal gratitude!
- dental floss: ideal to put on hold stitches or set up a life line.
- a hook: I use it to fix mistakes and drop stitches. Usually I carry a 3.00 or 2.5 mm because they can be use with almost all kind of projects.
The Little Extras
- my first aid knitting kit: some fingering smooth yarn for provisional cast-ons, stitch markers (you never have too much of those!), some big tapestry needles which can’t fit in my beloved holder, some needle size ID tags if I want to remove my needle tips from a project and cable connectors
- my sewing case: I love it as much as my scissors case! It allows me to safely carry all my sewing needles, pins and safety pins in felt layers which preserve their sharpness. I also store a Decouvit, a needle threader and my new-anniversary-gift wood thimble.
- a needle gauge and colored elastic bands: I love my color-code system but let’s face it, sometimes I suck at it and still need a needle gauge.
- a calculator: when I knit a new design to come, I often need to check measurements, gauge, etc. As I’m a loose knitter, I often need to tweak a bit existing designs to match my gauge. That’s when it’s really to have a calculator with you (and yes I know, you can have one on your phone but I’m really bad with the battery thing…)
- a stitch holder
- some hand moisturizer: all year long. My hands dry pretty fast. Between hard water, hot water, outside cold, crazy dry weather and household management, I need it almost every day!